Monday, August 13, 2007

Kevin Honeycutt teaching method

I enjoyed listening to Kevin Honeycutt's ideas. His Model T project was very inventive and engaging. I thought of an idea to try with my classroom that incorporates technology and collaboration. I'll have to think about it a bit more to refine the ideas but here goes:
  • Choose a topic that your classroom is learning about - maybe a famous person, community, animal, biome, culture, etc
  • Invite 2 other classrooms to join in on the project and learn along with you
  • All 3 classrooms collect important information about the topic chosen
  • Classroom 1 collects the notes from each classroom and synthesizes the information into a script, lyrics or podcast then sends information to classroom 2
  • Classroom 2 puts the script/lyrics into video form then sends to classroom 3
  • Classroom 3 adds music or narration to the video - when completed, they send final copies to classroom 1 and 2
  • Classroom 1, 2 and 3 watch the video at the same time then participate in a webcast to discuss their learning

It would be interesting to compare classroom notes and see what kinds of questions the students came up with and how their questions directed the classroom learning. This project of course would take a great deal of organization and planning but in the end would be a great learning experience for students.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think this is a great idea! I hope you find a way to implement it this coming year and please keep me in the loop. I'd love to help in any way that I can as well as to be able to follow your progress.