Monday, August 6, 2007

Online Video Resource

I was a bit frustrated trying to view the online videos because I only had access to dial up! I learned quickly how important it is to have the correct tech tools to complete work. I can relate to some of my students who do not have computer or internet access. That surely limits one's ability to complete work. Teachers need to consider the technology assessability of all students when giving work.
When exploring the video resources, I questioned the educational value of some of the content on the websites. I thought that NextVista was headed in the right direction but had limited video topics at the present time. I liked the guidelines set up when submitting videos and how they had the website divided into light bulbs, global views and seeing service.
I did not like the commercials/advertisements on some of the websites. It was too distracting and makes it harder for young learners to find an actual video to view. The reading ability of primary students also makes it hard to navigate one of these websites. As for teacher use, I would have to save a link on the student work group for students to click to view a specific video.
I can see me using the online videos in my classroom but it would take lots of time to search through the websites to find an appropriate video to view. It would be great if all our classrooms had a tv sized monitor or projection unit mounted in the classroom to show videos without having to get the projection unit and laptops set up for whole class viewing. The price of technology!! I do like how the videos can link students across cultures and be able to see how other cultures live. That is one aspect that I am going to continue to explore and try to link some video learning to our IB planners.
I do have a question - should we download videos that we would like to use and create our own video libraries? If so, how would I do that?
Carol

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Carol, you said,

"I do have a question - should we download videos that we would like to use and create our own video libraries? If so, how would I do that?"

If possible, I think it's always a good idea to download the video to your computer and save it for viewing with students. That way you aren't up the proverbial creek if the Internet is having issues at the time you want to use the video. Not all sites allow this and the procedure is slightly different for each site. This is something I'd be happy to help you with in person when you find some videos you'd like to use in the classroom. Just let me know.

Carol said...

Thanks Lori for the information - I'll have to try downloading and saving a few videos to see if I can figure it out. I will let you know if I need some help. Thanks!